Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sharks win Presidents' Trophy


Had someone told me going into this year that the Sharks would have the no. 1 overall seed going into the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I would have been ecstatic.

I think it is worth celebrating the amazing regular season that the Sharks had. 117 points is more than I could have imagined. The addition of Dan Boyle and Rob Blake have made the defense formidable, and Devin Setoguchi and Joe Pavelski may very well develop into stars of the NHL if they aren't already.

Yet, something doesn't feel quite right about this team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the Sharks have not played great Hockey since mid-January.

Today's 4-3 loss to the Kings once again got me worried. Nabokov saved only 20 of 24 shots and the offense was non-existent without the power play.

I worry because San Jose's opponent in the first round will be St. Louis or Anaheim, and those teams have won 8 of their last 11 games.

Most Sharks fans would tell me I have little to worry about in the first round, but the second round could mark the end for the Sharks. Their opponent will likely be Calgary or Chicago, and each team has proven that they can match up with the Sharks man for man. Chicago particularly scares the crap out of me.

If we play Chicago, goaltending will be the key. If Nabokov outplays Khabibulin, the Sharks will advance. So, I think the Sharks will get by in seven games.

If the Sharks get to the Conference Finals, they will likely meet the Detroit Red Wings. Fortunately, the Sharks have home ice, which is absolutely crucial considering how poorly the Sharks played at Joe Louis Arena (outscored 10-1 in two games).

But, I see the Sharks folding in that series. Joe Thornton has not played well lately, Patrick Marleau will be shut down by Nicklas Lidstrom, and the rest of the Sharks can't score the way the Wings can.

Unless Detroit's goalie situation completely falls apart, the Sharks run should end there in six games.

1 comment:

Send me some feedback about the Akeley Report.